Phasellus quam turpis, feugiat sit amet ornare in, hendrerit in lectus semper mod quisturpis nisi consequat etiam lorem. Phasellus quam turpis, feugiat et sit amet ornare in, hendrerit in lectus semper mod quis eget mi dolore.
Whitby History part 3 Henrietta Street Fortunes Kippers, the Black Horse and the White Horse and Griffin
Then we now descend down the famous 199 steps which in 1370 had Donkey Road cut into the side where Lord Mulgrave drove his coach to visit Miss Anne Elizabeth Cholmley that Abbey house, he went on to marry her in 1787. When he was descending Donkey Road it was said that the hitched two horses to act as brakes on the steep descent. Then once at the bottom of the 199 steps we turn right onto Henrietta Street, which was at one time called Haggerlythe in 1270 but it was renamed in 1761 after Nathanial Cholmley. In 1786 there was a large landslide and a great part of Henrietta Street disappeared, the last landslide was in 1923.
As you get to the end of Henrietta Street you see Fortunes smoked kipper business, the little building has a section at the back where the smoking is done. Often there are large billows of smoke rising from the rear and it has often been the case that tourists have thought the building was on fire and called out the fire brigade, who have to attend just in case, having to tak their fire truck very slowly up the small winding street, only to find there was nothing wrong becouse the smoke is coming from the kipper house.
Turning round we now go back down Church Street and there are many Whitby yards to the left and right with one of the most famous ones is Arguments yard which is often been the subject for artists.
Passing by the Market Square there are two public houses the first one being the Black Horse Inn streching back to the East Cliff. Whilst they were digging the foundations for a jet shop the remains of Abbey Kitchen midden were unearthed, with treasures like the lead buila of Archdeacon Boniface A.D. 1679. Artefacts like ivory comes, bone spoons, were found under now to be seen in the Whitby Museum.