Whitby Cottages and Apartments. One click from our home page and also on the left menu throughout the site. Each property has one page with description / pictures / video / tariff and availability all year. To book just 20% deposit and balance not due until 8 weeks before the holiday.Tel 01274 614650 - Mob 07813779273 - Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Whitbys marketplace wasn't just a place of trade it also had a more sinister past
Whitbys marketplace just off Church Street in the very centre of the old town was originally built in 1640 which supplemented the older marketplace which was on the west side of the town.
During this time Sir Hugh Cholmley had instigated the demolition of the ancient Tollbooth which was situated in the potato market, but the new one was erected in the new marketplace.
The marketplaceof today, is not the one which is currently there that was built later by Nathanial Cholmley in 1788, with the chosen architect and designer being Jonathan Pickernell, who had also been the engineer of the Whitby twin piers.
On the Tollbooth our town Hall as it is often referred to, there are is a aerial bearings of the Cholmley family, who has been connected with Whitby going all the way back to the middle of the 16th century. There is a space between the pillars which had been used as a stand for market produce, and this later became a pig market. There is a room on the first floor which is gained access by a spiral staircase, the Court Leet of the Manor have been held.
The marketplace had unsavoury connections in the respect that like the previous ones it was the location where public with beans of vagabond's and thieves would happen and at one time this would be very frequent event unfortunately.
Tweet - FB Like Us or G + Us..
There is as though it has a individual case where two lassies were whipped there on the date of March 3, 1710. The grim side of the stocks stood in the recess section at the top of the South side nearest to Church Street.
Brewster's Lane which dates back to 1426 A.D, used to run from Church Street all the way to Fish Pier and was termed a part of the old shambles, but it has now been demolished.
There used to be to all public houses in this area one of which was called the Jolly Butcher and the other was the Seven Stars. These were extremely popular meeting places for Whitby fishermen who could then divide up their shares of their catches. This would be where most of the business negotiations would take place between the workers of the sea.
So the best pictures of the current market place were taken by Frank Sutcliffe when the square was a buzz of activity for sales of local produce. Today it still stands very proudly with its clock tower on top and makes a very nice representation of the past or the tourist trade.
In actual fact Church Street itself is probably the most scenic part of Whitby, if people are looking for a sense of the past.
Whitby walking tour taking local attractions pictures and films Whitby