Want more booking for your holiday accommodation?
List your property with us. no contract red tape, no setup fee. Just bookings if and when you want them.
Whitby Holiday Cottages Letting Agency.
The ancient name of Eastrow was Thordisa and Charlton, one of the two historians of Whitby (about 1779), says: “There stood the idol temple of the heathen god, Thor, from whence the place was for many centuries called Thordisa. The sacriﬁces that has been made, and the worship that was paid by the Romans in Marsdale, near Sandsend, were afterwards; on the arrival of the Saxons, transferred a little southerly to the village of Thordisa. Here the place of worship appears to have been ﬁxed by the heathens till Christianity did prevail; and even then, though this temple be converted into a hermitage. Whose ruins are yet to be seen. yet that village still continued to be known by the name of Thordisa all the time our monastery of Whitby existed.” It should be stated that there are no such ruins now visible.
Sandsend is the northernmost of the two villages. Bathing may be safely enjoyed from the sands. Boats and boatmen may at times be arranged.
At low water, a ramble on the scar will be much enjoyed, and the stoutest boots, or none at all, are best for this excursion. The ﬁrst gate on the right of Lythe Bank, the steep hill above the disused Railway Station, leads to a pathway which goes along the cliffs, leading to Kettleness, Runswick and Staithes.
Love Lane is the road which connects the Whitby to Sandsend and the Whitby to Guisborough roads. Whence it derives its title is best left to the reader’s imagination, but it provides a most welcome and useful link in several short round-walks, and provides a welcome variation in the approach to our way out of the town. It is reached either from the cliff-tops by a roadway leading across to the White House Hotel, or by the main Sandsend road East The Parade for about two hundred yards. At t e south end is the Whitby Laundry, close to which, on the edge of the footpath, is the “Wishing Chair.” This is a rudely-cut chair in stone. A popular belief is that those who sit in it, closing their eyes, wishing for anything reasonable, and divulging the wish to no one, will have their wish gratiﬁed. There are many explanations for its existence, but the most popular one, and the one which seems more feasible, is that it was originally the base of a Celtic Cross. It is made the centre of a very interesting book, “ The Wish,” by John Shaw. To mark the Festival of Britain year, a “ mile cross” was erected at the southern end of Love Lane, near the site of old wishing chair. It is one mile distant from the Abbey and was locally-made and given by the Rev. Prioress O.H.P., of Sneaton Castle. It was dedicated by His Grace the Archbishop of York on August 7th, 1951. This area was further developed in 1962 to provide a housing estate for the personnel of the R.A_F. Early Warning Station at Fylingclales.